Scaling Hell

Getting up at 5am to participate in a trail run up a mountain sounds like an insane idea. For some. My recent dabbling in trail running as well as having signed up for a big trail race in November, some sort of training run was due this weekend anyways. So why not make it a bit more interesting and sign up for the half marathon distance at the Diablo Trail Run, organized by Coastal Trail Runs.

Was eating half of a 14 inch pizza, my dinner on the day before, considered proper carb-loading? I was about to find out as my friend Jürgen and I headed from the South Bay up north in the dark on 680 to Walnut Creek and eventually Clayton. A hint of orange was glowing on the horizon when we got to the Mitchell Canyon entrance of Mount Diablo State Park a bit more than an hour later. While we took care of registration, a handful of other participants were trying to stay warm in this 55 degree weather. The crowd consisted of people with slender physique in running outfits with tech t-shirts, but additional accessories like fuel belts, running vests and backpacks. Especially the people who had signed up for the longer distances (marathon and 50k) rightfully anticipated to spend anywhere between five and ten hours on the trails and fire roads.

Pre-race instructionsClose to 8am, the roughly 150 participants who had signed up huddled at the beginning of Mitchell Canyon Fire Road, right next to the ranger station and parking lot. The announcer went over some organizational details and, most importantly, which ribbon colors to follow for each distance. I wasn’t paying close attention and hoped I would just figure it out along the way. All the way to the top, I foolishly thought, how hard can it be to navigate?

Soon thereafter, we were sent off along the wide fire road, the field fairly close together. That would change soon. After a modest climb along the road for about 2 miles in the shade of pine and oak trees, the actual scaling of Mount Diablo began and the uphill would not subside (more or less) for the remaining 4.7 miles to the summit at 3,849ft. With grades ranging between 10% and a whopping 28%, I realized quickly that I was not in good enough shape to run continuously on those climbs. The pain radiating from my calves forced me to walk certain sections early on, enjoy the views and catch my breath.

DSCN1021While 150 participants sounds a lot, stretching them out over five events and their respective distances, I found myself alone on the trail fairly quickly, hoping for some respite in the terrain, which was mostly a futile undertaking. Marked by orange and pink ribbons, periodically dangling from tree branches and shrubs, I made my way up Mitchell Canyon Fire Road, almost missed the right turn onto Deer Flat Road which, after a total of 4.8 miles, brought me to the top of Moses Rock Ridge. Treeless and dominated by grassland, it provided unobstructed views towards Walnut Creek, Orinda and Berkeley in the far distance. The panorama brought distraction from the exhaustion and the slight breeze on the ridge helped to cool down. A metal gate marked the entrance to Juniper Campground and the long awaited aid station was finally in sight. “How far is it from here to the summit?,” I babbled possibly unintelligibly. “Its about another mile and change,” one of the friendly volunteers responded. What seemed like a neglectable distance would turn out to be one of the longest miles I had ever run.

Tough climb indeedSoon I would find myself on the switchbacks of the rocky and steep Juniper Trail. Half running, half walking, a moonscape like area opened up before me around one of the corners with blackened bushes, seemingly scorched by fire. At this point, the fastest people were already coming down from the top, rushing passed me as I was still negotiating my ascent. After a quick crossing of Summit Road, I was back on the steep trail with the summit in sight. Or so I thought. In fact, it was only a big arrangement of antennas and satellite dishes, adjacent to what looked like a big parking lot, with parts of it under construction. The ribbons asked the runners to cross the lot and then head up the remaining vertical rise to the summit. A runner in the 50k event caught up to me and together we crossed the parking lot on the summit, tapped in at the visitor center and, with no time to linger, headed back down.

DSCN1039Halfway through and the hard part done, I was hoping to make up on some lost time from the ascent, but the rocky trail made a speedy descent a risky endeavor. I refuelled briefly at the aid station and then followed the same way down that I had come up, along wide fire roads. Back on smoother footing, I tried to “let it fly” on the downhill and letting gravity do most of the work. While not as strenuous as the uphill, it was still challenging to keep up the speed and not tripping over any rocks or unevenness in the dirt road at the same time.

About half way down the descent, I caught up with another half marathoner. Twenty-something, short brown hair, in a blue tech t-shirt and minimalistic running shoes, it was only his second trail running event. “I just got bored of road races,” he proclaimed as we were running side by side. Needing to be a bit more careful on the downhill in his thin-cushioned footwear, I was able to pass him and continued downwards to eventually reach mile 11 and the flatter sections of Mitchell Canyon Fire Road. The last 2 miles, in now much warmer conditions and temperatures close to 80F, felt a lot longer and more tedious than at the beginning of the run.

DSCN1046Finally, after close to 2.5 hours, the parking lot and finish area came into sight and with a sigh of relief I crossed the line where Jürgen, who had finished a good ten minutes ahead of me, was already waiting. We quenched our thirst with electrolyte drinks provided at the finish area and devoured some of the snacks. While neither of us scored any top-3 age group spots, we were still proud that we had completed this hell of a run.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *